If you’re headed towards the Thai beaches, one thing you have got to take the time out to do is go island hopping in Krabi (or whichever beach you’re staying at). It’s a whole day affair, and you will be exhausted by the end of it, but it’s such a blast. You can do it for as little as 400 THB, which is less than $13.00. It includes four islands, snorkeling, lunch, fruit, and water at every stop. There are slightly more expensive options (and I use “expensive” quite loosely) that allow for more private tours and better boats. I can only imagine how much more you get with them.
Here was our rough itinerary for the day, so you know what to expect!
- 8:30 a.m. Pick Up from Hostel
- 9:30 a.m. Arrive at the beach where we get on our boat (like above)
- 10:00 a.m. Take boat to first destination, Poda Island. Also get showered by the ocean on along the way.
- 11:00 a.m. After an hour enjoying the beach, we take the boat to Chicken Island where we go snorkeling.
- 12:00 p.m. Get off at Tub Island and eat lunch
- 1:00 p.m. Take boat to Railay Island area. We go sea kayaking!
- 2:00 p.m. Head home
That’s an estimate. My advice is to be careful with taking small kids, they can get tired out very easily. One family had to leave early because the dad was sea sick and the kids were heat exhausted. Dress lightly, bring sunscreen, and stay hydrated. We were dead by the time we arrived back at our hostel.
I do have a vlog of the whole experience since I wasn’t sure how my DSLR would hold up and didn’t want to just try and take pictures on my phone. Here it is below…
Have you been island hopping? How was it for you?
Words and Photographs by Samantha